Col. Andres “Naz” Nazario commands the 17th Training Wing, Goodfellow Air Force Base, Texas. A Joint Center of Excellence, Goodfellow is the home for the Department of Defense Fire Academy and multi-service intelligence technical training. The wing is responsible for training more than 14,000 firefighting and intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance warriors annually for the United States Air Force, Army, Navy, Marine Corps, other government agencies and allied nations. In addition to Goodfellow, Colonel Nazario has command responsibility for three geographically-separated units in California, Arizona and Florida. He manages real property, equipment, supplies and contracts in excess of $1.5 billion and has an annual operating budget exceeding $288 million. Colonel Nazario also provides support to Army, Navy and Marine Corps on-base units, as well as seven other partner organizations and Angelo State University's Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps.
Colonel Nazario began his career in the U.S. Army, where he served until 1995. He received his Air Force commission as a graduate of the University of South Florida Air Force ROTC program. Prior to assuming his current position, he was the Deputy Director for Joint Staff Intelligence Operations, Policy, Plans and Programs Directorate at the Pentagon. He has served in a variety of tactical, operational, strategic and leadership positions to include flying squadron, joint Human Intelligence collections, counterterrorism operations, ISR-collection manager, Wing and Air Staff Executive Officer, Director of Intelligence, and Global Exploitation Intelligence Group Commander. His deployment experience includes South West Asia, Afghanistan, and extensive travel throughout South America supporting interagency counterterrorism operations and special operations forces.
1994 Bachelor of Arts degree in political science, University of West Florida, Pensacola, Fla.
1997 Distinguished Graduate, Air Force Intelligence Officer’s School, Goodfellow Air Force Base, Texas
2001 Master of Arts degree in Latin American studies, University of South Florida, Tampa, Fla.
2002 Squadron Officer School, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2006 Air Command and Staff College correspondence course
2008 U.S. Army Command and Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, Kan.
2010 Air War College, correspondence course
2010 Joint Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
2013 Information Assurance Graduate Certificate, University of Maryland University College, College Park, Md.
2015 Master of Science degree in Western Hemisphere defense and security, Inter-American Defense College, Washington, D.C.
1. July 1996 - May 1997, Assistant Regional Director of Admissions, Tampa, Fla.
2. May 1997 - January 1998, Student, Air Force Intelligence School, Goodfellow AFB, Texas
3. January 1998 - July 1999, Special Security Officer and Intelligence Analyst, 43rd Operations Support Squadron, Pope AFB, N.C.
4. July 1999 - July 2000, Chief of Intelligence, 2nd Airlift Squadron, Pope AFB, N.C.
5. July 2000 - January 2002, Chief Human Intelligence Collections, U.S. Southern Command, Miami, Fla.
6. January 2002 - July 2003, Operations Officer, Counter Terrorism Operations, U.S. Southern Command, Miami, Fla.
7. July 2003 - May 2004, Chief, Intelligence Officers Course, Goodfellow AFB, Texas
8. May 2004 - February 2005, Commander, Intelligence Officer Training Flight, Goodfellow AFB, Texas
9. February 2005 - October 2005, Executive Officer, 17th Training Wing, Goodfellow AFB, Texas
10. October 2005 - January 2006, Collection Manager, Joint Special Operations, deployed
11. January 2006 - June 2006, Assistant Director of Operations, 315th Training Squadron, Goodfellow AFB, Texas
12. June 2006 - July 2007, Director of Intelligence, 720th Special Tactics Group, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
13. July 2007 - October 2007, Mission Operations Commander, Predator Exploitation (Reachback), Langley AFB, Va.
14. October 2007 - January 2008, Special Projects Officer, Air Force Special Operations Command A2 (intelligence), Hurlburt Field, Fla.
15. January 2008 - December 2008, Student, Command and General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, Kan,
16. January 2009 - January 2010, Military Assistant to the Director, Afghanistan-Pakistan Task Force, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
17. January 2010 - August 2010, Director, Regional Command North Fusion Center, Mazar-E-Sharif, Afghanistan
18. August 2010 - June 2011, Chief, Operations Division (Acting), Afghanistan-Pakistan Task Force, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
19. June 2011 - June 2013, Commander, 451st Intelligence Squadron, Royal Air Force Menwith Hill, United Kingdom
20. June 2013 - June 2014 Executive Officer, Air Force Deputy Chief of Staff for Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
21. June 2014 - June 2015, Student, Inter-American Defense College, Washington, D.C.
22. June 2015 – July 2017, Commander, Global Exploitation Intelligence Group, National Air and Space Intelligence Center, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
23. July 2017- July 2019, Deputy Director Joint Staff Intelligence Operations, Policy, Plans and Programs Directorate, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
24. July 2019 - Present, Commander, 17th Training Wing, Goodfellow AFB, Texas
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit
Defense Meritorious Service Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal
Army Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
Army Achievement Medal with two oak leaf clusters
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant July 3, 1996
First Lieutenant July 3, 1998
Captain July 3, 2000
Major July 1, 2006
Lieutenant Colonel Dec. 1, 2010
Colonel Aug. 1, 2015
(Current as of July 2019)