Commissary offers more savings for the holidays
By Sallie Cauthers, DeCA Marketing and Mass Communication
/ Published October 23, 2012
FORT LEE, Va. -- Commissary shoppers have ample ways to stretch their normal 30 percent or more savings this holiday season thanks to special store promotions, giveaways, coupon offers and other opportunities for discounts.
"Our industry partners are offering greater savings through the use of high-value coupon booklets and special turkey offers," said Chris Burns, Defense Commissary Agency sales director. "They're also offering theme promotions recognizing our military veterans that save our customers and their fellow vets even more when it's needed most."
Throughout November, DeCA's industry partners - vendors, suppliers and brokers - are collaborating with commissaries to offer discounts beyond everyday savings. Overseas stores may have substitute events for certain promotional programs. Customers are asked to check their local commissary for details on dates and times for the following promotions:
· The Second Annual "Turkey Perfection" promotion. Starting Oct. 25 and ending Nov. 28, stateside customers, including Alaska and Hawaii, will receive a 32-page coupon booklet valued at more than $40. When customers purchase an item using a coupon from the booklet, they receive cash off the purchase of any whole fresh or frozen turkey. There is a limit of one coupon booklet per customer for this special offer, and patrons must purchase the quantities stated on the coupon. Supplies of the booklets are limited.
· "The Family Unit." From Oct. 25 to Nov. 28, Procter & Gamble has partnered with the USO to raise funds for "The Family Unit," a place where Wounded Warriors can recover, spend quality time with their families and prepare them for their transition back into the community. Patrons can sign up online for more coupons to use on future trips to the commissary. For each of these coupons redeemed in commissaries, 50 cents will be donated for USO's "Operation Enduring Care."
· "Good Food Good Life" Program. Beginning Oct. 25 and running through Nov. 28, the "Good Food Good Life" program will provide shoppers with the Nestle "Big Book of Commissary Savings" coupon booklet, which includes a wide array of holiday-related coupon offers, meal ideas, recipes and cooking tips.
· "Holiday Heroes." Oct. 25 to Nov. 28, Quaker and Tropicana will offer holiday-bundling coupons focusing on family meals. This promotion supports the "For the Troops Foundation," an all-volunteer non-profit organization that provides care packages to U.S. troops in Iraq and Afghanistan. Commissaries that participate could have up to $7,500 donated in their name.
· "Operation Appreciation." During November, Unilever will offer savings on their 15 top-selling brands. Up to $25,000 of the proceeds from the sales of Unilever's participating brands with redeemable coupons from either the "Operation Appreciation" coupon booklet or the Commissary Rewards Card will support members of the armed forces.
· "Believe in Heroes!" During November, commissaries worldwide will receive 500,000 coupon flyers, containing high-value coupons for commissary shoppers. During the promotional period most participating brands will provide donations to the "Wounded Warrior Project" foundation.
· "Special Wounded Warriors Donation Program." Starting the first week in November, commissary shoppers in stateside commissaries, including Alaska and Hawaii, will see military-only coupons and a national Wounded Warrior ad/flyer from Sun Products directing shoppers to a website for more coupons and a link to its Facebook page. Sun Products is donating a portion of the proceeds from this promotion to the Wounded Warrior Project.
"Commissaries always offer significantly savings," Burns said. "But during this time of year, shoppers can save a bunch on all their holiday shopping needs. So stock up now for super savings through the new year!"
Stay connected with the latest news about your most valued benefit, Hot Links to additional savings, shopping sprees, contests, commissary promotions, events and more, go to www.commissaries.com/subscribe.cfm or www.thefamilyunitpg.com and subscribe to the Commissary Connection newsletter.