GOODFELLOW AIR FORCE BASE, Texas --
It’s summer time and bicyclists are riding on the road. This means drivers of automobiles have to share the roadway.
Did you know that bicyclist have the same rights and responsibilities as drivers of motor vehicles?
In hopes of avoiding any bicycle mishaps here are some safety tips.
Tips for Bicyclists:
• Stop at red lights and stop signs
• Pay attention to lane markers
• Ride near the curb, traveling in the same direction as traffic
• Use a light on the front and a red reflector or red light on the back of your bike while riding at night
• Always wear a helmet
Remember to use proper signals when turning or to stopping:
• For a right turn, stretch your right arm to the right
• For a left turn, stretch your left arm to the left.
• For a stop hold your left arm downward.
• If possible use roadways that have slower and/or less traffic.
The number one goal is to avoid getting hit!
Tips for Drivers
• Be on the lookout for cyclists on the highway, especially at intersections
• If you're passing a bicyclist, move to another lane if possible and give them plenty of room
• Watch for riders who may need to maneuver around potholes and debris
For more information on bicycle safety visit the site below