Managing Your Move
By Jay H. Yerkey, Headquarters Personal Property Agency
/ Published March 31, 2011
GOODFELLOW AIR FORCE BASE, Texas-- --
In an effort to make moving a little easier, customers now have the ability to utilize the Defense Personal Property System, a full-service tool that provides an improved move process for all eligible members of the Defense Department personal property community. Military personell and civilians can create and submit move applications online and receive personal property counseling, monitor the progress of a shipment, file a claim directly with the Transportation Service Provider and complete a Customer Satisfaction Survey.
However, customers must first register for a DPS account. The DPS system can be accessed from any computer with internet access. Customers do not have to have permenant change of station orders to establish an account, but they are required to complete a counseling and secure a pickup date for personal property.
First, visit the DPS portal website, www.move.mil. Customers are strongly recommended to watch DoD Service Members and Civilians, a video on the home page, as it provides an excellent overview of the process. Customers can register a DPS account by clicking the "DPS Registration" tab at the top of the page. Once submitted, applicants receive and e-mail within six hours.
Once an account is created, customers will have access to:
- The ability to self-counsel and submit an application online, instead of traveling to a Transportation Office. Certain Defense Department customers should not self-counsel in DPS at this time. These customers should visit their local Transportation Office to coordinate a move. A list of those who should not self-counsel is provided on the move.mil site.
- Track a shipment through DPS or the Interactive Voice Response 24-7
- Update contact information at any time, current contact information is vital to expediting service request and meeting customer move expectations.
- The option to file a claim online, and settle directly with a Transportation Service Provider
- The opportunity to make sure only quality, reputable companies handle and ship personal belongings, and those of fellow servicemembers and Defense Department civilians, by completing the Customer Satisfaction Survey within seven days following delivery of personal property.
Regardless if customers plan to complete an on-line application or visit a personal property office for a one-on-one counseling, all eligible customers must establish a DPS user account. Establishing an account prior to a visit to a personal property processing office will avoid delays in preparing a shipment application. If a customer uses self counsel, it's important to remember that once the application is submitted, applicants will need to carry forward copies of orders and a signed application to the appropriate Transportation Office. Once a shipment has been created by the Counselor at the Transportation Office, the customer track the shipment in DPS, update vital contact information, and establish property delivery dates.
For more information contact Edward Ford at (325) 654-4437.